They ask for a pet every year and promise to look after it… but deep inside you know it’s more work for you. Here’s how to get a pet and make it work for everyone!
- Let everyone be in agreement: In our home my husband definitely didn’t want a pet so we had to wait for him to be cool. Funny enough he is the one that now goes out and brings back bones for them.
- Your neighborhood rules: Check with your estate and be sure they are cool with you owning a pet. Some estates have rules like “only house pets allowed”. Whatever it is make sure owning pet won’t cause unnecessary trouble.
- Know your pet: Before you buy that cute rott in the corner you ought to realize it will grow fast!. If you have small children get a pet thats child friendly. Understand if its a dog that needs long walks as well as its dietary needs. A hamster may be cute but may not work for your household.
- Care for your pet: Getting a pet is one thing looking after it another. Read up and get a vet to ensure that whatever pet you own is up to date on its shots and well taken care of.
- Set boundaries and rules: Make sure it’s clear where pets can go and not. i.e. In my house we don’t allow out pets upstairs. Also ensure children know they are to wash their hands after playing with them or feeding them.
- All hands on the deck:. The children who wanted the pet should also help take care of it. Sit them down and explain to them that owning pets comes with a lot of responsibility and once the pet arrives give them pet chores.
- Be careful: Apart from being sure that the pet you chose is safe for the home also ensure the children know what and what not to do with their pets. Generally children under 3 or 4 may see the pet as a toy so don’t leave them with pets unsupervised.
- Be patient: Puppy’s especially need to be trained and its requires patience.
- All hands on the deck:. The children who want the pet should also help take care of it. Sit them down and explain to them that owning pets comes with a lot of responsibility. Use my chore chart to assign different duties including looking after the pet. Good luck!